Tuesday, July 22, 2008

danger, danger

I have discovered etsy.com. Oh dear. Why didn't anybody tell me about this before? Actually, it's probably good that no one told me about it, as in the last 12 hours I have purchased a 1960's tin lap tray in white and blue floral print just like one we had when I was a kid (please, like we're the only people who eat dinner in front of the TV), kitchen towels with some crazy orange flowers, and a 25-count set of vintage French/English flashcards.

What the crap am I going to do with French flashcards? I have no idea! But they were only 5 bucks! I know that some very talented individual would be able to make some cool art piece of out them, but given that it's me, they'll probably end up in some plastic business card holder from OfficeMax.

And THEN I found many sellers on Etsy selling really cool pillow covers. I really want some new pillows for my sofa, but they're all so expensive. And I want something vaguely mod-ish or something happily whimsical (but not cutesy or kitschy, I'm highly particular about this).

But just as I was considering purchasing some, I had the brilliant idea to email some links to my mom to see if she could find similar fabric and make some for me. She said that they'd be very easy to make and would look for some fabric. Sweet! (And I'm sure they are very easy since you're just sewing two squares together, but since, again, we're talking about me they'd end up pear-shaped.)

It's probably a good thing that my house is very small and that I have very limited room for decorative items, or I possibly would have purchased more.

And, while we're on the subject of me being an uber dork, I just made myself some cheap art by typing ampersands in different fonts and printing it on 11 x 17 paper. Did you know that there are ampersand blogs with photos of ampersands in every imaginable form? At least I'm only an uber dork and not a way super uber dork.

Let's see, what other stupid things have I been doing?

Oh, I've been reading this cool (not stupid) book called The Architecture of Happiness by Alain de Botton. No, it's not a self-help book, it's an architecture book. I just picked it up on a whim at the library, and it's really interesting. And fun to read about how gothic architecture came to be in vogue after classical was the norm for centuries. It's a very lyrical story, really, on what could be a rather dry subject. And, even better, lots of photos!

I believe that the man of the house has dinner ready, so off I go.

3 comments:

Vikki said...

Oh, no. No, no, no. I won't even go to that site. Really neat, slightly cheap things. Nope. Will spend all money.

And you need to go to a quilt shop and look at fabric. OMG, I went with mom when she was visiting in March, and I just about died. There is so much COOL stuff to choose from. I could have spend all day in there. Just go pick the fabric and give it to mom. It'll take her about five minutes to sew them (plus...ehem...someone has your sewing machine...can't imagine who that could be!)

And, by the way, how the crap do you not like cherries? Everyone likes cherries. You're broken or something.

Vikki said...

P.S. Why does dad have to slurp his food? Why must he try and cram all the food in at once? My God, the man has no table manners.

Amy said...

Cherries = Robitussin and throat lozenges. Are gross.

No idea why dad must cram all food into his mouth. Perhaps he and his brothers had to fight for the food as children.