Monday, August 25, 2008

le sigh

You know when you read a book and think, "This is the book I wish I could have written."

Okay, maybe that's just me since I'm dork. But when you (me) have these little fantasies of the perfect world being a published author, you (I) ponder the types of books you'd (I'd) want to claim as your (my) own.

Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips is one of those books.

It's unexpected, smart, raunchy, laugh out loud funny, and so very clever. It has the same irreverence and "I can't believe she thought that up" feel of Good Omens (the ultimate I-wish-I-wrote-it book). And similar in flavor. Instead of turning Revelations upside-down, Gods Behaving Badly turns Mount Olympus upside-down.

Except the gods don't live on Mount Olympus anymore. They live in London in a crappy, dirty townhouse and have to work regular jobs to get by. Well, not quite regular jobs. Apollo is a TV psychic. Aphrodite is a phone sex operator. Artemis is a dog walker. Dionysus owns a bar. Eros is...well, I don't want to spoil that because I laughed out loud (one of many times) when Eros was introduced in the story. She gets their modern personalities spot-on.

The worst part of my writer envy is that Phillips is only 32 years old! Oh cruel world.

A cruel world with the infinite benefit of fantastic reads.

2 comments:

Vikki said...

Oh, hell, that book sounds genius! And here I am thinking I'm all clever. Nay.

I shall drown sorrows in sugar and carbs. BTW, how do you find all the cool stuff? Why didn't I get that gene? I got the "finding hurked up hairballs in odd places" gene. No fair.

Amy said...

You ARE clever! I say so, so it is fact.

I actually find my books in the Seattle Times book section. Between that and the fashion section, it's pretty much the only reason to read the paper.